Friday, March 29, 2019

Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost — Part 1, Brianna


If you were to ask me what I am most looking forward to over the next couple of months, my first response would be seeing Jaime Lannister end up on the Iron Throne in the greatest series finale in television history. My second response would be seeing Foals play their new album on April 20th at the Fillmore. More specifically, strutting my best kung fu dance moves to "On the Luna" in the middle of a dance circle of my friends.

I've been listening to Foals for a little over a year now, after becoming completely enamored by their ability to mix rock and dance to a level of perfection. You can imagine, then, my excitement at the news of two new Foals albums coming in 2019. One, the topic of this review, the more dance centered collection. The other, out in August, more in line with their incredible alternative hit "What Went Down" (you will also find me in the middle of the mosh pit during this one April 20th, be there or be square).

The rock and roll in me was disappointed that my favorite Foals sound would have to wait until August, but boy, did the boogie in me rejoice at the first released single for Part 1, "Exits." Along with this song, other high points of the album include the slow grooving bass line of "Syrups" and the on-point tempo switch at the end of a expertly crafted "Sunday". There's honestly not much bad I could say about the album; if I'm digging, I could probably say that "Cafe D'Athens" is kinda forgettable but that could be because I'm still catching my breathe from all the grooving done during its predecessor and my favorite of the album, "On the Luna."

As a tried-and-true Foals fan, I know this review comes off as biased as Barr's summary of the Mueller report, but please trust me when I say this one is worth the listen. Heck, I'd say it's worth the $40 ticket in April. And with that, I hope you're convinced. See you on the dance floor.

No comments: