Saturday, February 3, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 16: Beth

Prompt: "The song you think of when you hear the word 'emo'"

Selected by Beth


"In My Feelings"
Lana Del Rey
Lust for Life, 2017

Lana Del Rey may not be the first artist that comes to mind when thinking about "emo" songs, but I went straight to my sad queen for this prompt. I will admit that the title is a little on the nose, but I'm always in my dang feelings, so whatever! We've only been at the song challenge for a month and, in that very short amount of time, I've already made it very obvious through my selections that I often make questionable dating choices. Like Lana, I too often ponder if I have fallen for another loser. Dear readers, the answer is usually yes. The highlight of this song isn't her bemoaning her latest romantic failure, though; it's her coming to recognize all the ways that they were a piece of shit. While she may start off the song by sobbing in her coffee, the rest of it feels like a declaration of power. She asserts the fact that she's feeling all her fuckin' feelings like a badge of honor! I highly recommend looking in the mirror and asking yourself "who's doper than this bitch?" as you leave the house. A thrilling affirmation!

No comments: