Saturday, February 17, 2024

It's Not Too Late: YSC, Day 21: Sunny

Prompt: "A song that features the lyrics 'I'm in love' verbatim"

Selected by Sunny


"A Rush and a Push and the Land Is Ours"
The Smiths
Strangeways, Here We Come, 1987

Whoops, embarrassed to be late on this submission. Certainly had an "oh wow, it's Thursday?" moment in the morning. The sort of thing that was par for the course during Pandemic, a little less understandable now in the after-days.  

Probably for the best, because as I look at the submissions, I realize -also- thought of some of these Shrek tunes. Specifically, the Counting Crows track was what I was mentally reaching for over the last week. Boy, Shrek, huh? What an odd cultural product that's instantly recognizable by Americans age 5-50. Before I realized it was a WICKED trailer, I thought it was a Lady Shrek trailer during the big game, that sort of thing. As Pat mentioned, that first Shrek movie came out mere months before 9/11. Our summer of innocence. ALL HAIL SHREK!

Oh right, the Smiths. I consider this band a subset of my own emo journey (as in the emotion, not the musical styling). Morrissey has a way of being real, uh, pathetic, especially in a great song writing capacity. This isn't even the best track on Strangeways, but it has signature xylophone, piano rhythm, Morrissey wailing. And of course, a long, repetitive "I'm in love" outro.

No comments: