Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
Raekwon
1995
I'm of two minds with this one. Call it objective vs. subjective, even though it's all subjective at the end of the day. First, I liked it a lot, and, as I often do with these classic hip hop albums, I acknowledge that it is considered one of the best, and I have no reason to dispute those claims. But second, I think maybe I've overdone it with the Wu-Tang albums over the past month or so, and so maybe listening to Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... is me getting a little tired of the formula.
That second part is clearly subjective, and totally my problem. It's not just a Wu-Tang thing, and it's not just a rap thing either. It's like this with all music. I learned long ago that if I tried to speed-run through one artist's discography, that I'd grow tired of it more quickly than if I spread that shit out. That's why I don't bother with a band like Of Montreal anymore. That's why I only listen to like one new (to me) Bob Dylan album per year. That's why I probably shouldn't have listened to three Wu-Tang solo albums for three consecutive weeks. Even though all three albums were totally worth it, it might have been better to give them a little room to breath.
That second part is clearly subjective, and totally my problem. It's not just a Wu-Tang thing, and it's not just a rap thing either. It's like this with all music. I learned long ago that if I tried to speed-run through one artist's discography, that I'd grow tired of it more quickly than if I spread that shit out. That's why I don't bother with a band like Of Montreal anymore. That's why I only listen to like one new (to me) Bob Dylan album per year. That's why I probably shouldn't have listened to three Wu-Tang solo albums for three consecutive weeks. Even though all three albums were totally worth it, it might have been better to give them a little room to breath.
Because now I'm doing the comparing game. It's easy to compare, since they all have the same producer, RZA. Not that any of the beats are the same, but they are definitely in the same style. I read a quote from Raekwon this week in which he was basically like "we were all making our albums in RZA's basement, and it was like a candy store, we were grabbing any beat we wanted." Which is cool, because the beats are awesome and really complement the lyrical skills well, but also, there's a concern that the beats weren't made specifically for this album, and so that makes them... not generic, but, interchangeable I guess? And I'm speculating now whether that's not a good thing? Still, tough to say anything bad about beats that go so hard with so little. That little ping of a keyboard that hits over top of the harsh minimal beat of "Criminology" is sticking with me.
None of this is a real criticism, by the way. This is just me trying to explain myself, and not me trying to explain Wu-Tang. But like, there is a lot on this album that you could compare to Liquid Swords, right down to the sampling of movie quotes. Cuban Linx's movie of choice is The Killer. Unlike Shogun Assassin, I didn't have the time to watch this one. I'm sure it's great. I'm sure that it adds even more life to the album. Still, though, I'm sitting here thinking, okay, again though? Though maybe this one really leans into the concept. This album has been described as a "film," with Raekwon as its "star," and Ghostface Killer as its "guest star." I can like the concept even if I don't buy it completely.
One thing I'll cop to loving is the idea that Raekwon and Ghostface are two best friends who love each other and wanted to make an album together. I just find it really fascinating when you hear an album that is harsh both tonally and thematically (lots of rapping about selling drugs and violence), and even then, you can clearly hear the bond and the chemistry that these self-described hardened tough guys have with each other.
Yes, there's the posse track "Wu-Gambinos" in which Method Man makes the friendship statement "Wu roll together as one / I call my brother son 'cause he shine like one," and yes, every Wu-Tang member makes an appearance (and we even get our first non-Wu-Tang pal on a Wu-Tang album in Nas!), but the strongest friendship is clearly between star and guest star. RZA claims that he set them up after realizing they were like-minded individuals, even though they were from rival projects. It's also pretty clear that Ghostface is drunk for a lot of his verses on here; there's something strangely touching about his pal Raekwon supporting him even through a rough time.
Let's not get too corny with this. Can't imagine that anyone wants to see a white boy hip hop neophyte waxing rhapsodic about how two rappers are in love with each other. But that's my takeaway! I need to anchor my opinion in it, or else this would end up being "oh, yeah, another great Wu-Tang solo album, cool, I guess." And that would be worse.
Yes, there's the posse track "Wu-Gambinos" in which Method Man makes the friendship statement "Wu roll together as one / I call my brother son 'cause he shine like one," and yes, every Wu-Tang member makes an appearance (and we even get our first non-Wu-Tang pal on a Wu-Tang album in Nas!), but the strongest friendship is clearly between star and guest star. RZA claims that he set them up after realizing they were like-minded individuals, even though they were from rival projects. It's also pretty clear that Ghostface is drunk for a lot of his verses on here; there's something strangely touching about his pal Raekwon supporting him even through a rough time.
Let's not get too corny with this. Can't imagine that anyone wants to see a white boy hip hop neophyte waxing rhapsodic about how two rappers are in love with each other. But that's my takeaway! I need to anchor my opinion in it, or else this would end up being "oh, yeah, another great Wu-Tang solo album, cool, I guess." And that would be worse.

No comments:
Post a Comment