Joe runs through every album on his iPod, mostly in alphabetical order, and offers some brief thoughts. Check out previous columns HERE.
I'm writing this almost immediately after watching the USA Women's team win the World Cup (I don't write 'em at the time they are stamped, typically). That was cool, and it's not just the five Miller Lites I had speaking. My main takeaway was: women are awesome. And though soccer and power-chord rock 'n' roll don't have much to do with each other, I still kept thinking about Bat Fangs while I watched some soccer balls being kicked into and around nets. "Megan Rapinoe would be a good role model for Willow." I think that's a good point. No offense to soccer (which I sincerely hate, but fuck it, go USA), but when Willow grows up, I won't have any issue flipping it and saying, "Betsy Wright would be a good role model for you."
Seriously, she's so badass. She and drummer Laura King bash out nine fucking JAMS here on their self-titled debut. It's like KISS—that's my only reference point, because I don't listen to power rock too often... and also, maybe I should? This shit fucking rocks. Willow should practice holding her middle finger and ring finger with her thumb while the other two fingers fly, because that's what she'll be doing when she comes to appreciate Bat Fangs.
Here's how I've heard this album described: "windows-down butt-rock." Accurate. This isn't shit that keeps me up at night; this is shit that I put on when the weather is nice and I want to listen to something simple. Seriously, nothing complicated here. But if you want a band to grab you by the lapel and implore you to ROCK THE FUCK OUT, then Bat Fangs is your band.
And it definitely helps if you are into women who kick ass. Not sexually—relax, scumbag—I'm talking about women who are so good at their chosen craft that you can't help but wish that women ruled the goddamn world.
Okay, I'm just rambling at this point. You get it. Bat Fangs is cool. You'll like it. Fuck me for trying to write a column while slightly intoxicated. Bat Fangs deserves better than this.
Bat Fangs
Bat Fangs
2018
I'm writing this almost immediately after watching the USA Women's team win the World Cup (I don't write 'em at the time they are stamped, typically). That was cool, and it's not just the five Miller Lites I had speaking. My main takeaway was: women are awesome. And though soccer and power-chord rock 'n' roll don't have much to do with each other, I still kept thinking about Bat Fangs while I watched some soccer balls being kicked into and around nets. "Megan Rapinoe would be a good role model for Willow." I think that's a good point. No offense to soccer (which I sincerely hate, but fuck it, go USA), but when Willow grows up, I won't have any issue flipping it and saying, "Betsy Wright would be a good role model for you."
Seriously, she's so badass. She and drummer Laura King bash out nine fucking JAMS here on their self-titled debut. It's like KISS—that's my only reference point, because I don't listen to power rock too often... and also, maybe I should? This shit fucking rocks. Willow should practice holding her middle finger and ring finger with her thumb while the other two fingers fly, because that's what she'll be doing when she comes to appreciate Bat Fangs.
Here's how I've heard this album described: "windows-down butt-rock." Accurate. This isn't shit that keeps me up at night; this is shit that I put on when the weather is nice and I want to listen to something simple. Seriously, nothing complicated here. But if you want a band to grab you by the lapel and implore you to ROCK THE FUCK OUT, then Bat Fangs is your band.
And it definitely helps if you are into women who kick ass. Not sexually—relax, scumbag—I'm talking about women who are so good at their chosen craft that you can't help but wish that women ruled the goddamn world.
Okay, I'm just rambling at this point. You get it. Bat Fangs is cool. You'll like it. Fuck me for trying to write a column while slightly intoxicated. Bat Fangs deserves better than this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
If this album sounds interesting, try this song: "Bad Astrology"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stray Observations
- Not much here today. I can fill this bullet point with another apology. Sorry, Bat Fangs, keep rocking on.
- Oh yeah! I had in my notes that I should mention a couple of things. The first thing: Bat Fangs are from D.C., which sounds like a cool music scene. According to google, they play at Comet Ping Pong sometimes, a.k.a. the pizza place that some crazy fucking dickwad thought was the location of the "Pizzagate" child molestation conspiracy, and open-fired on employees. No links here because I'm not going to give these scumbags the clicks.
- The second thing: Betsy Wright was also part of Wild Flag and Ex Hex. I've never heard the former (so please do not consider me an expert on these bands, I'm a fraud), but the latter kicks ass too, and yeah, sounds exactly like Bat Fangs.
- Barely a mention about Bat Fangs in last year's round-up. As previously mentioned, they don't tend to stand out, they just rock the fuck out low-key and eventually people notice. Here I am noticing. HERE I am not really noticing (they earned an honorable mention song, whoopdeedoo).
- ALBUM COVER: BADASS FONT!!!!!!!!!!
- I should mention some songs next time OH WELLL
NEXT TIME: Cardinal by Pinegrove

No comments:
Post a Comment