Prompt: "A folk song from the '60s"
Selected by Maeve
Bob Dylan
Highway 61 Revisited, 1965
I tried so, so hard to not pick Bob Dylan for this prompt. I wanted to expand my horizons and think of something different. But instead, as I googled "'60s Folk" to make sure that Joan Baez fell into that category, I saw "Like a Rolling Stone" pop up, and had this insane flash memory of people rolling around on balls on a stage to this number. It felt like something I'd seen for sure, not a hallucination... yet googling didn't help. I was almost positive this was a Tony performance that was hiding somewhere deep in the back of my head. This song became inescapable from my mind until I could find the source material.
If you search "Bob Dylan musical" or "Like a Rolling Stone Broadway" or "Bob Dylan Broadway" or any combo of those phrases, they all point to the same place: Girl from North Country. This is a show that opened on Broadway in 2022 and was nominating for a ton of Tony Awards. It looks great and gritty. Definitely not what I was looking for—but don't you worry. I spent way too long on this, and discovered that I was looking for the musical The Times They Are a-Changin', directed and choreographed by Twyla Tharp. The show opened on October 26, 2006, and after being panned by nearly everyone, it promptly closed on November 19, 2006. And don't worry, I found the video I'd remembered, and it's possibly the funniest thing you'll watch all week.
If you search "Bob Dylan musical" or "Like a Rolling Stone Broadway" or "Bob Dylan Broadway" or any combo of those phrases, they all point to the same place: Girl from North Country. This is a show that opened on Broadway in 2022 and was nominating for a ton of Tony Awards. It looks great and gritty. Definitely not what I was looking for—but don't you worry. I spent way too long on this, and discovered that I was looking for the musical The Times They Are a-Changin', directed and choreographed by Twyla Tharp. The show opened on October 26, 2006, and after being panned by nearly everyone, it promptly closed on November 19, 2006. And don't worry, I found the video I'd remembered, and it's possibly the funniest thing you'll watch all week.
Please enjoy this faint memory fever dream.
4 comments:
Very bad, yes, but you know what? Bob Dylan is enough of a weirdo that I could easily imagine him loving this shit.
Sorry, I should have googled before commenting. According to this 2023 article, Bob Dylan had a private viewing before the show opened. The director, Twyla Tharp, said that "he arrived early... He paid close attention. He gave his blessing. And off he went." So the jury's out, I guess.
Everyone in that audience: "Oh God, it keeps going. If only tomorrow wasn't such a long time."
Rosie saying "cutie patootie" really healed something in me
Post a Comment