If you pick an album for Record Club, you will get an "exit survey" on Friday afternoon, after the reviews have been published. This isn't to add more to your workload; I instead just want to provide space for the album picker to have the final say, if they feel like they need some sort of closure on the week. It's totally and completely optional. And can be done whenever! Obviously, since this is the final word to an album from two weeks ago. Totally cool! Thanks for a fun week, Rachel!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Was there anyone who convinced you to consider a different opinion regarding the album itself?
Pitchfork, actually. I read their review and learned that a lot of the album was about her postpartum depression and that certainly put a different lens on things for me, especially "Hummingbird." I kind of took her for a run-of-the-mill country pop star, but their review really made me see her in a different, gutsier light. I also learned a bit more about how this fits into the grand scope of her career thus far—and all of the little details I perhaps missed or didn't catch the impact.
2. Was there anyone who you felt did a good/bad job at presenting their own views, regardless of whether you agreed with said views?
I loved Pam's "city mouse/country mouse" internal debate. I get that. I feel that! I know one thing for sure, I'm not a suburban mouse. (No shade if you are, do you, my fellow mice).
3. Were the reviews varied, or did this album elicit same-y opinions? What about that album made that true? Or do you think that this answer is reviewer-dependent and not album-dependent?
I think everyone was like "yes, this is solid country-pop." We referenced Kacey Musgraves and T Swift, because of course we did. I think it's now Maren's turn to take the baton and become the gateway country artist—teaching a new legion of music-lovers that there's a place at this rodeo for more people than you think.
4. Did the variety of reviews justify the album choice? Would you choose a different album (yes/no) based on the reviews received?
Another option I considered was Orville Peck (I'm on an alt-country kick). I think it may have elicited a similar "hey this is country, but I don't hate it" or "yes, i love queer Johnny Cash."
5. What can Record Club do differently to make your RC experience (especially as a weekly captain) a worthwhile one?
No nazis, thanks!
6. Any other takeaways you have from this experience?
For all the minor label indie weird stuff we offer here, it's nice that we can all agree that "pop" isn't a dirty word, ya know?

No comments:
Post a Comment