Well, there ya go. That's a wrap on our week with Train. Not the week I always imagined it'd be with the drop of Jupiter mopes, but it was the week we got. I hope you had fun. I did. I think I did, anyway.
Did you hear that the current (as of this writing) Train guitarist Butch Walker—more widely known as a prolific producer for a lot of music that you know, including a ton of RC alumni, but yes, an official member of Train since last year—was credibly accused of sexual misconduct this week? Of course you didn't. You come to Puke on Your Birthday for such news. You might have heard about Butch Walker dating a fifteen-year-old girl, but there's no way you saw the headline and thought "wow, that's the current lead guitarist of Train." I got your back, though, don't worry. PoYB is here for you.
Butch Walker has nothing to do with Train Does Led Zeppelin II, of course, so we don't need to get into it if you don't want to. We can just talk about the music we listened to, the wonderful music. All positive reviews, I'm sure. Let's hear it. What did you think? Any minds changed by strong words in the reviews?
Happy Friday, friends.

6 comments:
Well, if an album consisting of Train covering the entirety of Led Zeppelin II by Led Zeppelin doesn't pull a ton of people back into Record Club, I don't think anything will!!!!
Question I would ask if there were many people here: did anyone come into this experience not being familiar with Led Zeppelin II? I could see a scenario where this is someone's first experience and can't help being impressed. Train, for all its many many faults, really does manage to TECHNICALLY hit most of the right notes. There's no mistaking this for anything other than a Led Zeppelin cover album.
Yeah, it's TECHNICALLY not bad, which somehow makes it worse
Thanks for the regular Train news update, you're right I'm not getting that anywhere else
I often, often think about how "Drops of Jupiter" was the #1 played song on the radio across the 90s (I don't know where I heard that stat, if it's true, anything; and I'm not re-checking because it has a smell of being right to it), and how fucked up that is
I am delighted to confirm that the stat is incorrect. And in fact, I can confirm for you now also that "Drops of Jupiter (Tell Me)" was not played a SINGLE time, on any radio station, throughout the entire decade of the 1990s (solely due to the fact that it was released in 2001).
As far as my subjective feelings on the song... I actually don't mind it. I'm not gonna go to bat for it, but if we had taken this RC task seriously and reviewed Drops of Jupiter instead, you'd probably find some kind words about its title track in this space.
"Hey, Soul Sister," on the other hand? Now there's a stone-cold piece of fucking shit song if I ever heard one.
Post a Comment