Friday, March 14, 2025

Discussion — Week 319: L'Africain by Tiken Jah Fakoly


Use this space to chat about the album of the week, the reviews that were posted today about it, the weather, your plans for the weekend, your thoughts about culture war issues, speculation as to how Zach's Facebook date went, etc. Have a great Friday otherwise!!!!

14 comments:

Joe K said...

I jinxed it in my review by saying that my iPod was one of my most precious valuables. Dropped and broken as of yesterday. I have no idea if IT repair shops deal with bootleg iPod classics, 'bout to find out when they open. Very depressed right now.

Joe K said...

I like how all five reviews dealt with the basic question of how much one is willing to engage vis-à-vis the non-English lyrics. Everyone is on the same page this week.

Joe K said...

Idle thought: I wonder what the most recent "essential reggae album" is. L'Africain feels a lot more modern than, say, Bob Marley, but it's still almost 20 years old. I wonder if there are still innovations being made in the genre/scene, and I wonder how I would find out about such a thing.

Nate said...

Certified Good Album, will take some time to consider where it ranks in the Sunny selection Hall of Champions / how much it does or does not sound like Khruangbin.

Joe K said...

Might not take too much time to consider, since Zach picked it. Regardless of whether that was a typo or not, I think we can all agree this was better than Khruangbin.

Gloria said...

What Khruangbin album did RC listen to? They are a great band and I actually made a friend in a bar over the holidays because she was wearing a Khruangbin tour shirt, haha. It’s the only reason I approached her

Joe K said...

A LA SALA. Don't worry, the "I think we can all agree" was facetious. Those who are bored by Khruangbin are definitely in the minority. (Also, I think Nate was making an oblique reference to the offense that he took when Zach compared Talking Heads to Khruangbin.)

Sara said...

I was kneecapped by this album not being on Apple Music! I now can fully empathize with oppression.

Joe K said...

Music streaming services are a pox upon society.

sunny said...

It's amazing how much LORE poyb has collected over the months

sunny said...

This is an incredible tragedy, and I'm saying that without a trace of irony

Joe K said...

@ Sunny re: iPod — Thanks for your sympathy, friend. Etsy dude that I bought it from originally got back to me and apparently I can send it to him for repairs too. I'll keep y'all updated in this space!!!!!!!!!!

Zach said...

Of all the albums I've picked, I think this is the first one that is a choice of the people as a truly "good album." I loved reading the reviews. Joe and Gloria went to unexpected places that made me want to read more and more and more.

Joe K said...

You're probably right about this being the best-reviewed album that you've chosen, but this is only true because people severely underrated Magic Toaster and Viv & Riley. History will reveal in time how RC fucked up with those great albums.