Friday, March 28, 2025

Discussion — Week 321: To the Bone by Steven Wilson


Use this space to discuss the music of and reviews for To the Bone by Steven Wilson, and NOT To the Bone the 2017 Netflix film starring Lily Collins. I've never seen that one, so I don't have opinions on it, and if you've seen it, please do NOT share your opinions on it in the comments below, nor your opinions about Lily Collins in the show Emily in Paris, a show that apparently exists. No! No! We're talking about the reviews for Steven Wilson's To the Bone today!!!

11 comments:

Joe K said...

Good mix of optimism and pessimism today. I think that means it was a good pick, if Steven Wilson is able to inspire such emotions in both directions.

Joe K said...

I know there was a conversation about choosing RC albums recently, regarding whether it was better to pick new-to-you albums or albums you already love. I'll be curious to hear how Gloria felt about choosing the latter this week.

Joe K said...

Specific details

I wouldn't pay $200 to see anyone, even if the Beatles reunited

Big fan of mini bucket lists

Had to look up what DAW meant

Love reviews of British haircuts

Had to look up what SWIM was again. I assume this is Walter

Joe K said...

I don't know where else to put this. WXPN has just informed me that it is Reba's 70th birthday today. Hopefully she is celebrating with egg whites, plain wheat toast, and an assortment of fruit.

Nate said...

I'd like to use this space to off up a few small updates on various goals I have set for myself in the year we're presently in.

RUN 500 MILES - As of the end of this weekend, we project to be at 91 miles for the first quarter, which is about 30 miles off pace. Some illness and travel upset the apple cart, for sure. Will have to commit to 5:30am tredmill sessions to make up the lost distance. Onward!

READ MORE BOOKS THAN MY SISTER-IN-LAW - I've read 22 books at time of writing but my sister in law, the awful banshee, has read 35. I'm getting boat raced! Not sure how to improve on this one other than to read shorter, less well-written books, but even that feels like it won't be enough. We're looking for something here. Best book so far: The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (devastating). Worst book so far: The Santa Suit by Mary Kay Andres (also devastating).

Gloria said...

Haha, not great! But in all honesty, I’m satisfied with sharing something and getting to hear people’s thoughts even if they differ from mine

Gloria said...

I first read Nietzsche’s Beyond Good and Evil the summer before 8th grade, when my older sister brought home her books from college. And even though I spent more than my fair share of time getting drunk in dirty basements in college, I also found the time to minor in philosophy (one class away from a double major of philosophy and biology). Maybe it’s from the years of studying Buddhist teachings, or learning about Hegesias of Cyrene, or reading the works of Schopenhauer that I don’t even think the lyrics are all that pessimistic in comparison, haha

I’ve already heard from so many great minds that the human condition is suffering; it doesn’t even register anymore.

And sure, there is something pessimism in the lyrics, but there is also a sense of resilience and hope. I think there is such a beauty to be found in a world where we can be in a state of constant suffering but still feel like trying. There isn’t a strict dichotomy between the two mindsets

Maeve said...

This has inspired me to add The Remains of the Day to my TBR and boy, oh boy, does it look depressing.

Joe K said...

I feel ya. Even after I wrote it, I figured I was missing something, or maybe wasn't able to see it. I wouldn't say it was a bad week for me, but I felt a sort of boredom or malaise that lent itself to viewing this thing pessimistically. I believe you when you say there is hope and resilience here too.

Zach said...

The Remains of the Day is one of the best books I've read.

500 miles! Wow. I'll meet you for a 10 miler on the east coast in April if you're down.

Zach said...

I've now made it a life goal to meet Reba and tell her about the project.