Screamo is not my thing. Neither is writing! But here I am, voluntarily writing about a screamo album (that I picked!) (for my birthday PoYB pick!). I picked this album because of Britt and Joe. Britt was over and Joe had music on. It wasn't a Musicless Monday. Maybe it was a Thursday. That would have been appropriate. Anyway, the music that was on caused me to question what it was—usually that means Joe's music has caught my attention, either in a good way or a bad way. This was the latter. After asking who it was, Joe, knowing that Britt is a post-hardcore girl, allowed her to answer. And, alas, it was Thursday. The screaming is what caught my attention and made me dislike Thursday upon listening for that first instant. Joe likes this stuff. Britt loves it. Why does it make me cringe?
Ok, so I've now listened to Full Collapse. I think I've now gotten a proper introduction to Thursday. I don't hate them. They're not bad. Full Collapse isn't bad. In fact, I kind of like it. Here's what I like: the main vocals. He's got a nice, smooth voice. I also like the dreamy/spacey sound that they create in the more subdued moments on Full Collapse. Kind of gives me Incubus vibes. What I had to dip my toes into was obviously the screaming aspects of the vocals. Turns out the water is just fine. It's not my favorite, but 1) it grew on me and 2) I can empathize with wanting to scream my lungs out into the world. And I can appreciate the emotion that goes into writing and performing this stuff. Don't hate me for saying this, but some of Full Collapse was like Dashboard Confessional on steroids. Which I promise is, like, a really nice compliment from me.

No comments:
Post a Comment