Friday, March 21, 2025

Discussion — Week 320: Full Collapse by Thursday


What did we think about this week's album? Did any of the reviews change your mind, or give you a fresh perspective? What did you agree with or disagree with? Would you buy a deluxe vinyl LP set of music from the hit TV series Wednesday? It's a shame Wednesday's brother is named Pugsley instead of Thursday. 

13 comments:

Joe K said...

Thursday felt like a band particularly suited to the idea of "looking back." Almost every review felt like it touched this idea in some way. Whether it was connecting with someone, disconnecting with someone, walking the streets of Jersey, or even making up fictional myths about friends, Thursday was a good nostalgia band.

It doesn't surprise me that Thursday is the latest band to reunite after a long time and start making new music again.

Joe K said...

One of my hopes for RC is that the regulars stick around long enough that they can be exposed to certain genres multiple times. For example, Sara's been here most weeks lately, and maybe this is her first screamo experience, which is totally cool and totally makes sense. But maybe her second time with this genre will be a little better, and her third a little better than that. There are a few genres (hip hop, country) that I feel like I hated prior to RC, but am fully invested in after RC kept making me attentively listen to them. Another example: maybe if Pam kept doing RC every week, she'd eventually get to the point where she's not saying "what is this shit?!" every time I try to play something abrasive in the kitchen.

Joe K said...

Pretty sure the concert that my pals saw without inviting me was Circa Survive. I've never listened to them, so it was pretty fair not to get the invite. Consider my review fictional and dramatic projection.

Joe K said...

Shoutout to Gloria for meeting the moment. I love when Record Club coincidentally picks an album that is incredibly important to a specific person's history.

Joe K said...

We've been having a good time celebrating Pam's birthday. On the actual day, we didn't listen to Thursday once.

Joe K said...

Also probably worth noting that this is probably the widest diversity of opinion we've had in a while, which is a good thing.

Gloria said...

Pam, 1) Happy birthday!!! Wishing you a great year! 🤍 2) I agree on the “Dashboard Confessional on steroids”. After finishing this album I immediately wanted to listen to “A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar.” It’s been a nostalgic listening week for me and Spotify’s AI is making the exact playlists my inner 16 yo would have made. Which is much better than the week it made me a mix with Willie Nelson and Eve6

Gloria said...

Sunny, Midtown (pop punk) and Streetlight Manifesto (ska) are both from New Brunswick and fairly famous I don’t know if either of them were from Rutgers though

Gloria said...

Joe — “A struggle to keep the old stories preserved in our minds, even though sometimes it feels like the scrolls that they're written on got wet and are crumbling in the palms of our hands.” Love this line!

Gloria said...

Thank you! It’s crazy the stories that resurface with music; I hadn’t thought about that day in a long time

sunny said...

Happy Birthday Pam!

sunny said...

This is useful info for me, I def know Streetlight but didn't know they were NB

sunny said...

Superb writeup today. Great when bands and albums have personal connections