Sunday, February 11, 2018

PoYB from the Vault: 2016 in Review (Unfinished)

I do not remember writing this. I suppose it was in late 2016. I suppose I was drunk. It is clearly unfinished. I am so very, very tired of it sitting in my drafts folder, and I don't know what else to do with it, and I cannot bring myself to permanently delete anything I ever write, no matter how bad. I'm a hoarder of my own words. It's a problem. Anyways, fuck it, here ya go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What better way to extract the essence of a year then by a BULLETPOINT LIST?!
  • took an $80 Uber ride home from New Year's
  • was embarrassed for my city as transphobic South Philly losers in brownface paraded down Broad St.
  • was absolutely enthralled watching Making a Murderer
    • was absolutely bored to tears watching the Making a Murderer lawyers at the Keswick Theater
  • told myself that I would listen to most of David Bowie's discography this year in tribute but couldn't because it honestly couldn't hold up (but Blackstar was awesome)
  • hosted the annual K*** Cousins Party (which I will no longer be referring to by its colloquial name, K*** Kousins Kristmas, or its acronym, because man, some shit just isn't funny anymore after the year we just had, right?)
    • Also, still refused to reveal my last name on a public blog, apparently
  • got snowed in at my parents' house during the blizzard of 2016 with a keg and my sister's graduation party attendees
  • only had to visit the car mechanic once for some bullshit
  • attended the Wing Bowl for the first (last?) time in my life
    • drank 3:30 AM beers and saw 5:30 AM boobs
  • got a haircut from Pam and my hair is still longer than it's ever been
  • listened to Pam's beautiful singing voice soundtrack a South Philly wedding
  • watched a Super Bowl I couldn't give less of a fuck about at the Dwyers' (click here for a visual)
  • rooted against Villanova for weeks to no avail
    • got into many fights with Philly folk explaining why you don't have to root for that stupid fucking team because the school isn't in Philly and they are a rival school to many actual Philly schools and everyone that goes there is a milquetoast white rich snob goddammmmmmmn it
  • spent all St. Valentine's Day weekend painting the doors in the house because that's the best gift I could possibly give my wife for St. Valentine's Day apparently
  • used the La Salle track for running (which I never did when I was at school)
    • then drank on the bleachers (which I always did when I was at school)
  • drank so much sweet wine that I literally had to get a root canal
  • did an AMA on Facebook because I'm a fucking loser
  • went to like four improv shows because I SUPPORT FRIENDS AND ENJOY COMEDY
  • was away for Pam's birthday because I'm a shitty husband
  • actually got excited for the Phillies for like a month which is wild to think about now
    • cheered as Papelbon blew a save on a beautiful Sunday afternoon at CBP
    • thought that the Phillies might actually be a good team hahahahahah
    • said farewell to Chooch and to Howard and to the last lingering memories of our 2008 team
  • went to the movies by myself to see the spiritual sequel to Dazed and Confused
    • almost cried
  • listened to the Hamilton soundtrack a lot because I often am in the car with Pam
    • refused to pay $1500 for Hamilton tickets
  • trained for a half marathon
    • ran a half marathon
    • died
  • tried to go to the gym at 4:30 AM every day and lasted like two weeks
  • tried to walk to work every day and lasted like a week and a half
  • tried to lose my beer belly and ended up just growing it
  • tried to look physically attractive for my wife and mostly failed
  • tried to feel better about my body shape and somewhat succeeded I guess but kind of
  • lost my wallet because I can't go a whole year without losing something important
    • got my wallet back in the mail after I replaced everything
  • spent a boozy, crabby weekend in Baltimore
  • lost my grandmom
    • tried to laugh and remember the good times
    • cried, too
    • missed her burnt grilled cheese and her vegetable soup and her famous lemon cake
    • missed her
  • saw plenty of concerts this year which is weird because concerts make me uncomfortable
    • blacked out and sung my heart out to "Stuck Between Stations" with Craig Finn and Titus fucking Andronicus
    • was blown away by Car Seat Headrest and then somehow ended up at El Bar blacked out
    • drank a lot at concerts apparently
    • was a little disappointed by Father John Misty I guess because he is too ironic and distant and it feels like he doesn't really care much for other people in general?
    • saw the worst concert I've ever seen (sorry, Valencia in 2005!) by a dude called JMSN (embarrassing way of spelling a name pronounced "Jamison") who dressed like Eminem and acted like Adam Levine
  • took off for two weeks in the spring from work because fuck that place
  • went on a fucking wild Vegas Vacation
    • drank at an open bar on a Ferris wheel
    • drank $3 everything at the Happiest Place on Earth
    • received the scariest, most expensive check of my lifetime poolside
    • laughed with friends for five days straight
    • laughed as friends got kicked out of the pool for getting to second base
    • laughed at the size of the pancakes at the diner at 5:30 in the morning
    • destroyed my stomach but thankfully not my wallet
    • did, however, lose $100 in about five seconds on the roulette table
    • goddamn had a great fucking vacation
  • Stayed up drinking at El Bar until 3:30 in the morning the night before going back to work from vacation and got into work and threw up and went right home in a probably subconscious attempt to avoid going back to work for as long as possible
  • listened to South Philly juiceheads threaten friends for throwing hot dogs off the rooftop deck (don't ask)
  • ran a mile then drank at a bar then ran a mile then drank at a bar then ran a mile then drank at a bar then ran a mile then drank at a bar then ran a mile then drank at a bar then ran a mile then drank at a bar then died
  • played the drinking game "Pizza Box" in a Hoboken apartment
  • really disliked my soul-crushing job
    • hung out in Kensington after dark
    • got home late because a Mom wouldn't stop berating me because she wanted her son to live with a sexual predator
    • tried to place to teenagers in foster care and bought them McDonald's so they wouldn't run and they ran anyway until a cop tackled them
    • was told that I was a racist asshole and that if this one particular father saw me again he'd put me "in the fucking dirt"
    • called 911 way more times than I wanted to
    • placed way more babies addicted to drugs than I wanted to
    • had a mother tell me she was "busy" only to find out that that meant she was right in the middle of burglarizing a home when I called her
    • danced around thousands of cockroaches
    • was told I was a bad person
    • was told it'd be better if I was dead
    • burned out
    • etc. etc. etc.
  • got accepted to a new position within the company that isn't so soul crushing and like maybe I'll actually transfer in 2017 but who the fuck knows
  • went to plenty of bachelor parties this year
    • saw someone get stabbed at the first bachelor party
    • did keg stands on a bus driving down I-76 at the second bachelor party
    • threw dollar bills at a stripper eating cheetos off the floor at the third bachelor party
    • visited the most depressing place on earth and the happiest place on earth (The Turf Club and Day Dreams, you decide which is which) at the fourth bachelor party
    • got real drunk in Wildwood at the fifth bachelor party and, man, the cops didn't like that one bit
  • went to plenty of weddings too is like the more important thing right
    • went to six weddings in all
    • was a groomsman in two
    • gave a best man speech at one
    • got drunk and danced and had a fucking blast at every one
  • McNally's
  • tweeted like 200 times and none of it was funny
  • instagrammed 0 times because I know I'm not funny
  • wrote on Facebook about politics until I was blue in the face and it didn't make a goddamn difference because I live in a bubble
  • watched hours of TV with my favorite couchmate (Pam)
  • won dozens of games of beer pong with my favorite teammate (Pam)
  • was turned on by chokers and by fake nose rings and by cute bangs (all Pam)
fin

No comments: