Friday, May 24, 2019

CORRESPONDENCE, Joe


Prior to the release of his new album last week, Tyler, the Creator released a statement. It read as instructions on how to enjoy IGOR, but really, it could apply to advice on how to enjoy any new album.

"Just go, jump into it. I believe the first listen works best all the way through, No skips. Front to back. No distractions either. No checking your phone no watching TV no convo, full attn towards the sounds where you can form your own opinions towards the album. Some go on walks, some drive, some lay in bed and sponge it all up. Whatever it is you choose, fully indulge. With volume."

Strangely, I was thinking about this quote a lot in relation to CORRESPONDENCE (strange due to the fact that the two albums have nothing in common besides their all-caps titles), because this album is one that you have to really concentrate on. This isn't music that you can have on at dinner in the background, because there really isn't much music there. It's a lyrics-heavy album, so it requires the same concentration as a book-on-tape or podcast.

Usually, this is the type of album that would bore me (I personally can't stand listening to podcasts), but if anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, it's Jens Lekman. He's been one of Pam's and my favorite artists ever since "Black Cab," because he continually pumps out happy, clever, unassuming, comfortable music from Sweden year after year. So yeah, at this point he can do whatever the fuck he wants as far as I'm concerned, including just read letters over a strumming acoustic guitar.

I had never heard of Annika Korlin before this album was announced, but if she feels such a kinship with Jens that she would compare the pair to a gender-reversed Bob Dylan and Joan Baez, then all signs point toward me being a future fan. CORRESPONDENCE does nothing to dispel the notion. The conceit of this album is that Jens and Annika are writing letters back and forth to each other, and basically just singing the letters. So, again, the album wouldn't work if the lyrics were generic bullshit, because there is barely anything else (some light strings over acoustic guitar, no percussion save for maybe like a few handclaps).

Thankfully, there's so much to love in these songs/letters. Jens just has a gift for writing such evocative lyrics. He is able to ably capture those small moments between humans, moments that no one else sings about. His lyrics are detailed in such universal ways. As the cliché goes, I could listen to this self-effacing Swede sing the damn newspaper. I would put money down to hear him do it. Who else could wring such a thoughtful, thought-provoking verse about a rewatch of Revenge of the Nerds? Only Jens Lekman. Who else could spin a yarn about visiting one's 42-years-dead husband, frozen and preserved on a mountaintop? Only Jens Lekman.

Well, okay, apparently Annika Norlin can too, because she goes toe-to-toe, lyrics-wise, on her half of the album. I love "Joining a Cult," in which Norlin runs down her rationalization for watching a documentary about a cult and empathizing with the members. Like Jens, she is able to at the same time be bizarrely specific and yet totally relatable. Plus, she sings the absolutely delightful line: "I don't want anyone listening my albums / While telling their mums what my ass looks like." CORRESPONDENCE is chock full of these nuggets.

I took great joy in listening along to this album. The interplay between songs (they take the letter-writing shtick very seriously) and the relaxed, nonchalant vocal performances, and the stories that Norlin and Lekman are able to capture with their words all add up to a nice, pleasant experience. I can't say that this is an all-time great album, because like I said, it's really simple—seriously, if you're not listening like Tyler, the Creator wants you to, then you probably shouldn't even bother—but for what it is, it is a success.

GRADE: 3.5 pukes out of 5

No comments: