Friday, September 1, 2023

Stick Season, Bridget


I was beyond excited when Maeve told me she had picked Stick Season for Record Club. I have been listening to it, albeit the deluxe version, for the past few months. To me it is a great mix between folk and pop, and easy to listen to in the background. I saw Noah on TikTok a ton early on and thought, this kooky guy is fun as hell. When his song "Stick Season" went viral, I totally understood why. And come on y'all! He did a remix of his song "Drunk Dial" with my sweet king Post Malone AND recently performed live with "his hero" Hozier. So he is absolutely doing all the right things to make me fall in love with him. Noah is also a sweetie Vermont boy, and talks a lot about his New England upbringing, which fun to think about.

The album starts off strong with "Northern Attitude," which, like, hell yeah, I agree it's hard being raised on little light (shoutout daylight savings!). This song is fun to really jam out to with the background beat and vibrant chorus. The sweet acoustic guitar in "All My Love" is so fun. This song about innocent first love is very sweetie and just reminiscing about what it used to be like. I love "Orange Juice" talking about just wanting to spend time with a friend who is now sober and supporting them by offering them something, just friends supporting friends. I think "Homesick" is my favorite song on the album. An interesting twist on the word and wanting to leave your hometown but being sick you're still stuck there. Once again, such a fun phrase to absolutely yell at the top of my lungs in the car. "I'm mean because I grew up in New England." What a line, what a phrase, and what a way to explain how I can be fresh sometimes.

I genuinely love this album as something I can toss on whatever mood I'm in. I have watched lots of videos of him performing live and he has the widest open eyes I've ever seen, and that is really something! I love that he's silly online and seems like he doesn't take himself too seriously. I cannot hype up people to listen to the added songs on the deluxe version, including "Paul Revere," "Dial Drunk," and if you're in the mood to be sad, "Call Your Mom."

4.5/5 ⭐

No comments: