Prompt: "A song whose lyrics describe someone eating something"
Selected by Pam
"Greasy Frybread"
Punkin Lusty
from Reservation Dogs, 2021
I love that this song makes cooking greasy frybread sexy. Reservation Dogs is one of the best shows out there right now. I can get on board with most projects Taika Waititi has his hands on, and this show is one of his greatest achievements.
It makes me happy that this song celebrates creating and eating greasy-ass fatty food that tastes great (I imagine). At a certain point in my teenage life, as most teenage girls probably experience, I began to compare myself to all other girls and thereby hate my body. I drank Slimfast for lunch senior year of high school. Like, what the fuck? My mom was always on some kind of fad diet. So, this was totally seen as normal in my family and among my friends.
It has taken me years to go against every cell in my body telling me that I must always be on a diet and to hate myself when I'm not (which is most of the time). Eating healthy is great, and it can make you feel great. I'm glad that my daughters are learning what it means to be healthy, but sometimes when I watch Bl*ppi with them and he goes "Well, if you are what you eat, then I must be a salad!", he leaves me no choice but to roll my eyes so far into the back of my head and think "Shut the fuck up, Bl*ppi." As I tell my girls when they ask whether every food they eat is healthy or not, it's all about balance. Eat the cookie / cake / ice cream / greasy frybread, and enjoy your life. Celebrate that frybread.
Unfortunately, indigenous people have some of the highest rates of diabetes. Which may be attributed to greasy frybread or balance, but it's also definitely a result of a failing healthcare system that does a particularly bad job at caring for minorities. We need to do better. Anyway, I love this show and this song. I never know going into these posts whether I am going to write a paragraph or a manifesto...
It makes me happy that this song celebrates creating and eating greasy-ass fatty food that tastes great (I imagine). At a certain point in my teenage life, as most teenage girls probably experience, I began to compare myself to all other girls and thereby hate my body. I drank Slimfast for lunch senior year of high school. Like, what the fuck? My mom was always on some kind of fad diet. So, this was totally seen as normal in my family and among my friends.
It has taken me years to go against every cell in my body telling me that I must always be on a diet and to hate myself when I'm not (which is most of the time). Eating healthy is great, and it can make you feel great. I'm glad that my daughters are learning what it means to be healthy, but sometimes when I watch Bl*ppi with them and he goes "Well, if you are what you eat, then I must be a salad!", he leaves me no choice but to roll my eyes so far into the back of my head and think "Shut the fuck up, Bl*ppi." As I tell my girls when they ask whether every food they eat is healthy or not, it's all about balance. Eat the cookie / cake / ice cream / greasy frybread, and enjoy your life. Celebrate that frybread.
Unfortunately, indigenous people have some of the highest rates of diabetes. Which may be attributed to greasy frybread or balance, but it's also definitely a result of a failing healthcare system that does a particularly bad job at caring for minorities. We need to do better. Anyway, I love this show and this song. I never know going into these posts whether I am going to write a paragraph or a manifesto...
1 comment:
Reservation Dogs is so good. The Deer Lady episode floored me.
Post a Comment