Have you ever played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater? If you have, then you know exactly what kind of "Sound" the soundtrack to that game had. The best way I can describe it is Garage Punk Rock. Example?
You may be thinking to yourself, "Wait. Is Garage Punk Rock the same as Punk Rock?" No. Very much, no. No. Not even a little bit.
So that brings us to Meat Wave and their album, Malign Hex. Before I get into this record I want to state the obvious, at least in my mind. The production of this record is HORRIBLE. It sounds like a mix cd my nephew gave me one day, fifteen years ago, when he literally recorded in his dad's basement.
But maybe that's the thing. Maybe that's what Garage Punk Rock is. Maybe it's supposed to sound like someone is holding a Five Below microphone up to record a professional song.
Now here's the worst part. I loved it. It brought me right back to being twelve years old and shredding it up as Bob Burnquist in the Warehouse.
But let the record show that this band is not very good. It was difficult to get through to be honest. The songs are all blah. I still jammed my way through them. But at the end of the day their sound is very 2000 and late.
5 kickflips out of 10

No comments:
Post a Comment