I didn't watch the extras, or listen to any other audio other than what was on Spotify. I've probably listened to this album at least two times this week. The first time, I think, I was on a regular running route. I don't always listen to music while I run, but I wasn't sure how I'd find time to precisely sit and just listen to this album (but that's what I've just done as I wrote this—ha!). I typically stick to my classic rock albums... I don't venture outside of white American or English music too much for too long... So this review will be all over the place... since, combined with the initial listen-through, I listened to this while walking to work or just while I was in flux with whatever I was doing. I'm sure I tuned out a few times, but a few things struck me...
I can barely comprehend these lyrics, but I just keep coming back to try to understand because Burna Boy has this way of saying a single word or partial phrase in English just enough to keep me attentive... sometimes. I had a lot of fun even though I couldn't always follow along—okay most of the time I couldn't follow along. Combined with the horns and tappy-tap of the tinny-sounding percussions, the rhythm and beats were smooth.
But wait... there were a couple songs, notably "Gum Body" feat. Jorja Smith, that suddenly were comprehensible! This song felt like a relationship experiencing a back-and-forth of anxious and avoidant behavior while drinking Hennessy. I can relate, though my drink of choice was tequila, and I never really got as rowdy as this playa seems to have!
Or the song "Secret" where there seems to be a story of adultery! (or was Burna just being a narcissist, who dream't all this up?)
Let's take a look at some of these lyrics now:
"Say my name no time
I know you want to be more
Baby oh, but I got my wife
I know you want, you want to be my wife"
^^ Yup! Sounds like an affair! Who is this woman? A friend? How did he meet her? I suppose it doesn't matter... he's just trying to keep it a secret!
"Baby, can you keep a secret shhhh for a long, long time?
When you're awake or sleeping shhh"
^^ Nice! He wants a long term relationship too! Maybe he'll get divorced later.
"You're only talking crazy cause I make you cum
Every time I bring you closer, closer
Smack your booty and choke ya"
^^ Spicy! This must be what he means by when he later says:
"I give you everything, you still want it all from me
I'll pull up on you need company?"
^ I can relate—sometimes I just want company. Even if it's non-sexual. But why you gotta feel shame if it turns mostly sexual?! Marriage or not, there's a commitment versus attraction complex going on here that is tough to hold restraint over.
Anyway...
The guitar riff at the beginning of "Collateral Damage" is fun. The beat comes on soft and Burna builds on top with his smooth voice. I don't need to know what the fuck he's saying because it's just good vibes on this track for me. No complicated relationships—at least as far as I know! Ha! But wait... then those random words pop in and I hear about suffering; police; perhaps some politicians getting chopped up? And I suppose this is about African corruption and violence. And suddenly this fun, upbeat song becomes sort of sobering...
"Another Story" just builds on to the previous song by applying "Collateral Damage" to the historical building of Unilever in Nigeria... who knew!? Well I know... just I am so well programmed to continue my consumer lifestyle or to feel anhedonia about living in, what some call, residual feudalism. The modern term is Capitalism, right? Just "Another Story" of wealthy civilizations, civil-izing!
To be fair, I don't buy from Unilever... I'm more of a Lush guy... and I try to minimize my usage of non-simple soaps, deodorant... you name it. But now I've got to worry about fossil fuels being replaced by the raw materials and labor that go into making batteries, PVs, and silicon chips! Who's going to do all that werrrk!!! Duh, the same people doing it today.
Ugh... "it's guilty vibes" is an appropriate opening lyric to this song.
But let's move onto the next lick!
"Pull Up" has another great guitar riff. See, I love electric guitars from the '60s and '70s, so I'll keep coming back to Burn for these simple things.
"Gbona" was the first time I realized "Guilty Vibes" is actually "It's Kel P Vibes." Got it... I'm just shaming my kind for the wreckage of colonialism and my frustration with capitalism.
"This Side" sounds like another gangsta-type song. Again, there's the juxtaposition of virtual lawlessness of Grand Theft Auto, the video game:
"Twisting up my fingers, put 'em all in ya face
Shoot out in broad day, we play too much GTA"
...with....
"Magazine with the extension
Send him to another dimension (Ooh, ooh, ooh)
Dun know mi have it pon me dawg
Might leave in a body bag"
Damn Burna... is this your life currently? Or an observation of what you've seen? Or maybe a little bit of both—a history of your life?
Burna closes out his album optimistically in "Spiritual." Because, ya know, may we all have spiritual growth in our lives... we're not perfect, so feel the shame, but don't let the shame wash over you too much!

No comments:
Post a Comment