"(Antichrist Television Blues)"
Arcade Fire
from Neon Bible
2007
(something blue)
During that period of time in between December's Listmas and a new year's music release schedule starting up again, I spend a good month or so just getting weird with it. To finish the conceit I've been going through the past four weeks, I decided to try to determine what was the best song on my iPod that had the word "blue" in it.
Tougher than it sounds—there are 184 songs that have some variation of "blue" on it. A lot of those songs are something like "___ Blues," and most of those songs are from Bob Dylan, who apparently loved to get sad about various subjects (like orange juice and picnic bears, I guess).
After much hemming and hawing, I've sadly disappointed a bunch of runners-up—sorry, Destroyer's "Blue Eyes," Mister Heavenly's "Blue Lines," the Who's "Blue, Red & Grey," Ought's "Beautiful Blue Sky," Ariel Pink's "Bright Lit Blue Skies," Fleet Foxes' "Helplessness Blues," I could go on forever, honestly—but I've landed on Arcade Fire's "(Antichrist Television Blues)," mainly because it fucking slaps, but also because there's some bizarre trivia attached to it.
Did you know this song is about Joe Simpson, Jessica Simpson's dad? Win Butler seems to be particularly passionate about his disdain for fathers who become craven bloodsucking managers for their children. I wonder where Butler lands on the Autobiography debate.
I know... this blog post was dumb and a huge stretch. Back to new music next week, fucking finally.
No comments:
Post a Comment