Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Summer Song Challenge, Day 31: Walter

Prompt: "A song that was important to you last year"

Selected by Walter


"Unconditional I (Lookout Kid)"
Arcade Fire
WE, 2022

I've recently discovered Arcade Fire via Alison, my Partner, who I'm often in waves of harmony and contention. I find myself often pushing back on her multi-dimensional requests in an attempt to keep a sense of control of my own life. In the waves of emotions that this erupts, I am realizing a sense of emotional agency in myself that I never had before. "Unconditional I (Lookout Kid)" describes this theme better than I can. I'd say this song has been an influence for the last year, and maybe even longer as I think about all the implications it has on my future self...

...future self, literally meaning, the children Alison and I are planning to have. This song is dedicated to the hope that my future children (and self) will someday be comfortable in their own skin and ride the sinusoidal waves of emotions with an abstracted sense of a higher-power. To be aware of their soul, and to rock-and-fucking-roll with IT!

@Sunny—remember when we had a discussion about how we would give advice to a child on what to do in the world? Well, I think this song helps answer this question. I'd probably work to help this child focus on their feelings, rather than give advice on what to do or be... They're smart enough already to figure the rest out.

Side note: Win Butler, the lead singer of Arcade Fire, was recently accused of sexual misconduct. How ironic (or not?), given the beautiful themes presented throughout the WE album.

No comments: