Indie's leading rock band is back, and dare I say, better than ever before? Maybe that still remains to be seen. However, maybe it is fair to say that their new album, I Don't Live Here Anymore, is the best they could have done following their Grammy-winning rock album A Deeper Understanding. For me personally, after less than a week of listening to it (probably at least ten times), it does top it. I can't for sure say if it's my favorite WoD album (that still belongs to Lost in the Dream), but it's certainly so close, and I think a few years from now it could be the king.
Speaking of king, this band truly is the king of heartland rock, indie-rock, or modern Springsteen/Dylan rock. Bottom line is this band fucking rocks. They have been my favorite band for four years, and it looks like that will continue. Leading man Adam Granduciel can fucking write. Within the complex layers of his lyrics, my main takeaway from this album is about finding hope and optimism while getting through difficult times, and embracing change as you come out of that darkness.
There are too many amazing, brilliant, emotional moments throughout every song in this album that it is seemingly impossible to pick a favorite. From the headbangers of "Harmonia's Dream," "Wasted," and "I Don't Live Here Anymore," to the beautiful melodies of "Living Proof," "Rings Around My Father's Eyes," and "Occasional Rain," this album has a little bit of everything.
Regardless, I'll do my best calling out some of my favorite moments. I will name two.
When the drums kick in around the 2:39 mark of "Old Skin": The song begins very mellow but you can tell the song is building toward something incredible. And then it happens. Those drums kick in, and I am reminded once again why haters of this band should just go sleep in a closet.
The final lyrics of "Change": Perhaps my favorite lyric in the whole album. I think this will always hit me hard. I have chills every time this moment of the song occurs. And the two-minute melody that follows amps up this moment even more.
"There are so many ways
Our love could make it through,
But it's so damn hard to make that change.
Maybe I was born too late
For this lonely freedom fight.
Maybe I was born in the wrong way,
Maybe born on the wrong day."
Kudos, boys, to another masterpiece. Cheers to a sold-out crowd at MSG on your next tour, another Grammy, and hopefully a LIVE DRUGS Part II.
5/5 Pukes!

No comments:
Post a Comment