Tuesday, December 26, 2017

2017 in Review: Music I Missed

Unlike legitimate music publications, I usually wait until the very end of the calendar year to post my Best Music of the Year lists. But this year, I wanted to be one of the cool kids, and got that shit published on PoYB toward the beginning of December. But I don't stop listening to new music after the lists are up and read. December, instead, is a time for catching up on all the shit you missed.

It's a bit like being drunk and single at a bar at like 1:30 AM, and trying at the end of the night to go home with whatever wo/man is left, no matter the quality. It's hit or miss. Sometimes, great music is revealed even though the album only made it on to like one list, and that's awesome! Sometimes there's an album that the critics love, and I read about it so much on year end lists that I decide to finally give it a try, only to find, nope, just as I suspected, this shit ain't good, and that kinda sucks!

So my point is that my music lists might not be the end-all, be-all of my year. I found a few other noteworthy albums or songs that may or may not have made those lists, had I published them a month later. And I listened to some crap too, but we won't worry about that here! We only pay attention to the good stuff here at Puke!

1) "GM" by Ratboys

Gotta love a perfect road trip song.



2) "City Music" by Kevin Morby

This is a song for those nights where you end up on your apartment building's fire escape at 2 AM looking down at the quiet city below.



3) "Kept It All to Myself" by the Weather Station

Getting serious Joni-Mitchell-"Coyote" vibes from this one.



4) "Christine Perfect" by Lemuria

It's rare, but sometimes great fucking albums are released in December.



5) "Night of Long Knives" by Everything Everything

Even overwrought British bands can have bangers.



6) "A Little Pain" by Margo Price
7) "Shine on a Rainy Day" by Lee Ann Womack

I'd love to be able to understand rural America a little better than I do now, and listening to some good country might be a good place to start. It seems like the country music scene is just as confused about its identity now more than ever.





8) "GUMMY" or "SWAMP" or "JUNKY" or maybe "SWEET" all by BROCKHAMPTON

Speaking of different genres for Joey, I finally found another rap artist that I like! BROCKHAMPTON is a really fun rap group with crazy lo-fi videos and raps that I actually appreciate. I still haven't been able to pinpoint what makes certain rap appealing to me and other rap tedious, but I'm going to keep exploring this genre and attempt to figure it out.



9) "Ben Franklin's Song" by the Decemberists

I haven't been this excited about a bookish indie rock frontman dropping the F-bomb since Sufjan's "Want to Be Well." I haven't been this excited about the Decemberists since the Infinite Jest video. I haven't been this excited about Hamilton since, well, ever.



10) "True Lies" by Alex Cameron

2017's very best '80s-inspired dreampop song about sending money to a Nigerian Prince.

No comments: